Leader's Guide to Success
This training includes all the information needed to successfully run a Girl Scout troop (good for new leaders and established leaders who would like a refresher) in NYC. Our Volunteer Experience team facilitates this training via Zoom (monthly, and on a needed basis).
Are you curious about how to plan and facilitate fun and engaging virtual troop meetings?
Check out these tried-and-true resources from fellow troop leaders who successfully adapted their meetings for in-person-safe and virtual settings.
Meeting Planning & Facilitation Tips:
- How to plan great virtual meetings
- Virtual Troop Meeting Tips
- How I Make Virtual Meetings Work for My Troop (Blog)
- Planning the Troop Year in an Uncertain World (Webcast)
- Supporting Your Troop When You Can’t Meet in Person (Blog)
Activity Planning Tools:
The Volunteer Toolkit (VTK), accessed through your MY GS account, is a robust digital planning tool that supports troop leaders in planning out their year of Girl Scout fun! These volunteer-generated ideas can help you adapt to any meeting environment – including a virtual space! When you’re exploring badges, look for a ‘wifi’ icon to identify badges that have been adapted for virtual meetings. You can also visit the program level pages above to view adaptations for specific badges and journeys.
- VTK User Guide for Troop Leaders 2020-2021
- VTK User Guide for Caregivers
- VTK User Guide for IRG Caregivers
- Adapting badges and journeys
- Digital icebreakers and games
- Award and Badge Explorer
Connecting with families:
- How to Build Your Troop Support Squad (Webcast)
- The Troop Committee: How To Build One and Why It’s Important for a Strong Troop (Blog)
- Leading Troop Volunteers? Here's What You Need To Know (Blog)
- The Key to Keeping It Girl-Led at Home? Teaming Up with Troop Families (Blog)
Making Meetings Accessible and Inclusive:
- Girl Scouts for All (PDF)
- What is Person-first Language? (PDF)
- What is Person-first Language? (Video)
- Tips for Troop Leaders LIVE: Navigating Challenging Conversations With your Girls (Webcast)
- Raising Awesome Girls (Blog)
Did you know that ZOOM is a great platform to host virtual meetings? If you need support in learning how to deliver the Virtual Girl Scout Leadership Experience (GSLE) while safe at home, please reach out to our Virtual Strategy Development Lead Specialist, Hannah Fertig.