Updated: November 19, 2020
Due to the recent increase in COVID-19 cases in New York City, and the response of the city to close all public schools, we are cancelling all in-person outdoor troop meetings until November 30, 2020. An update on the in-person guidelines will be shared with you then.
COVID-19 is an extremely contagious virus that spreads easily in the community. Take all reasonable precautions to limit potential exposure for girls, volunteers, and families. GSGNY continues to encourage virtual engagement. The main office remains closed and staff continue to provide support virtually. GSGNY troops are strongly encouraged to meet virtually.
Leading in-person activities during COVID-19 is optional. Volunteers should first decide if they are comfortable offering in-person troop meeting before proceeding.
At this time GSGNY prohibits indoor Girl Scout meetings or activities, including private homes.
Starting Tuesday, September 8, 2020 GSGNY troops may meet in person outdoors with the following criteria.
- Any in-person troop meeting must follow NYS guidelines.
- All girls and volunteers must practice social distancing, wear face coverings (masks) and maintain 6 feet distancing of others and follow safety guidelines as outlined by the CDC.
- Meeting Size. Meetings should include a group of 12 girls or less with a minimum of 3 approved and background cleared adult Girl Scout registered members, including at least one trained co-leader.
- Meeting Duration. Meetings should be an hour or less
- Meeting Space. Only outdoor spaces where social distancing can be maintained are permitted for meetings. Please receive permission from the property owner or the jurisdiction that provides the location. Meeting in private backyards are prohibited.
- Personal contact. Hugs, handshakes, “high-fives,” and activities like the friendship circle or squeeze can transmit COVID-19 from person to person. Refrain from these gestures for the time being. Create a safe way for girls and volunteers to greet and end meetings.
- Food and Beverage. There should be no food served. If girls wish to bring a water bottle, please make sure the bottle is labeled with their names.
- First Aid Supplies. Troop first aid supplies should include COVID-19 prevention items including hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol), tissues, disposable facemasks, and disinfectants. Trash baskets or bags should be supplied for meeting spaces, if not already available. Make sure that the trash baskets (or bags) are easily accessible. Disposable or no-contact thermometers may be added to supplies if available and not cost-prohibitive, however, parents should be checking temperatures and allowing their girl(s) to join group activities only when temperatures are normal (the same guidance applies to volunteers).
Volunteers and Families. Leaders should share these
guidelines with troop families and make a collaborative decision
with families based on comfort level, accessibility, and desired
level of engagement.
- Volunteers and families should assess their ability to comply with required guidelines. For example, younger girls may find it difficult to remain socially distant and/or wear masks. If girls cannot comply with guidelines, troop activities should remain virtual at this time.
- Transportation. Individual parents drop off and pick up their own girls from meetings. Carpooling is prohibited. Public transportation should be avoided, where possible, to maintain social distancing. Parents/ guardians should wait in/at their car or in the area outside of the troop meeting space. Tagalongs are prohibited.
Pre-screening questions before attending each Girl Scout
meeting or event:
- Have you or anyone in your household (person(s) with whom you live) traveled either domestically or internationally over the past three weeks? If yes, which location(s) did you visit, and which airports did you travel through?
- Check the NYS website for quarantine requirements for anyone who has recently traveled out of state.
- Have you or anyone with whom you live experienced any of the following symptoms within the past two weeks?
- Have you or anyone with whom you live experienced any of the following symptoms over the past 24 hours? To your knowledge, have you been in close, sustained contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes or more) with anyone showing any of the above-referenced symptoms, or anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 (Coronavirus)?
- Please click the links above or go to the CDC for COVID-19 symptoms for pre-screening.
- Volunteers should include these questions in each email confirmation they send to parents for meetings and events.
Outdoor Troop Meeting Approval.
- Leaders must submit an Outdoor Troop Meeting Form 10 days prior to meeting. Confirmation will be sent within 5 business days.
- Trips, travel and overnight stays . Trips, travel and overnight stays are prohibited through December 31, 2020. This date will be reviewed and extended as needed.
All above subject to change in order to be in compliance with any NYS Health/COVID-19 regulations updates.