If you become a Girl Scout of Greater New York volunteer, we thank you for your caring and generosity of girls. To help you be the best volunteer you can be, we offer training courses to help you partner with girls to implement programs that are girl-directed, creative, fun and safe.
Click HERE to register for an
Adult Learning course today!
Fall 2015 - Winter 2016 Adult Learning Calendar
now available HERE.
It's easy to become a volunteer!
- Fill out this volunteer application.
- Once we have received your application, we will work to connect you to opportunities in your area.
- We’ll provide information about our background clearance process, training and start-up.
- Complete your background clearance and training as soon as possible to start participating in your assigned role.
Adult learning opportunities and resources can be found on this page. There are online courses as well as face to face classes; registration for classes is available online. If you have more questions, please read our Questions and Answers section.
- 001 Getting Started: a 3-hour orientation required of all new leaders, this course should be taken in the borough in which you will be a troop/group leader or co-leader. It focuses on Council procedures, troop start-up plans and troop programs.
- Leadership Essentials(LE): a 3-hour follow-up to Getting Started, this is for all new leaders and should be taken within one year of Getting Started. We have revamped LE to include both LE training and age level training. In the age level specific activities; leaders will learn how to facilitate activities to be “girl-led” with an emphasis is on “learning by doing.” In addition, leaders will learn about the characteristics of the grade level girls they will be working with as well as how to manage a troop. To register fill out this form.
- Overnight Adventures and Beyond: This course is mandatory for all leaders participating in any overnight trip or sleepover. It has been designed to prepare leaders for all overnight trips; long and short term. In addition, the course will cover troop trip progression, planning for various overnight facilities, girl planning, emergency procedures, safety tips etc. This course is a prerequisite for the Great Outdoors.
- The Great Outdoors (Prerequisite: Overnight Adventures and Beyond): The course prepared leaders for hands-on-tent camping and various outdoor cooking methods as well as answer an array of questions to help manage your camp weekend in the most efficient and effective way. Participants must attend the full weekend at Camp Kaufmann in order to complete Camp Certification. Note: The new curriculum allows participants to bring their registered daughters (3rd grade Brownies and up) with them during the Great Outdoor training at camp. Participants will arrive with their daughters on Friday night for a meet and greet with Camp Staff. Saturday and Sunday the girls will be supervised and participate in fun-filled activities with camp staff while the mom's engage in outdoor training. Mothers will be able to bunk with their daughters at night.
- First Aid Safety and Community CPR: In this comprehensive course participants will learn how to identify and care for a variety of medical emergencies. Participants will also learn how to reduce the risk of injury or death by properly identifying breathing and cardiac emergencies and administrating the appropriate CPR measures for adult, child victims. Instructors are volunteer Girl Scout Trainers certified by either the American Red Cross or American Heart Association to deliver the appropriate corresponding curriculum.
How to Register
Register for any of these courses by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.