Questions and Answers
General Volunteer Information
- All volunteers must pre-register for a training course. Please register online. Registering ahead of time allows adequate preparation for materials and Adult Learning Trainers.
- Most classes require a minimum of ten participants. Cancellation will be determined 72 hours before the class. You will be contacted if a class for which you have registered is cancelled.
- If you have already registered for a class and know in advance that you will not be able to attend, please call or email the Girl Scouts of Greater New York Adult Learning Department at 212-645-4000 to change your registration. We will be happy to transfer you to another date depending on space availability.
- For courses requiring a fee (First Aid/ CPR) payment is expected before the time of the course.
- Outdoor classes are held rain or shine. Dress appropriately for the weather.
- Participants are welcome to bring a bag meal and/or beverage to classes.
- Child care is not available.
- Please arrive on time.
- Submit a Volunteer form
- Criminal Background Check completed
- Complete Getting Started Volunteer Training and receive your troop number
- Complete the Volunteer Agreement
- Review Girl Scouting 101 online. Your Membership Specialist will provide you with the password
- Open a Troop Bank Account
- Meet with your Troop Leadership Team and Girls!
- Submit Troop’s Membership Registration forms to your Girl Scouts of Greater New York Membership Specialist
- Some of our classes have size limits based on available space, or in the instance of First Aid/CPR, based on an instructor to student ratio.
- In order to ensure that we have enough materials for all participants, we need a count of how many will be attending.
- If we need to cancel or move a class, we need contact information so we can inform all participants.
If we need to cancel a class, we will contact all registrants. For classes canceled with 24 hours or more notice, we will contact registrants via the email provided on the registration form. If we are canceling a class with less than 24 hours notice, or if there is no email provided on the registration form, we will call the registrants.
If you have already registered for a class and know in advance that you will not be able to attend, please call or email to let us know. We will be happy to transfer you to another date.
- Getting Started and Leadership Essentials do not have a fee.
- First Aid/ CPR and the Great Outdoors have an associated fee. Please check the class description for the fee for these classes.
- Please make checks payable to Girl Scouts of Greater New York or pay electronically via the registration form.
- Please arrive a few minutes before your class is to start in order to allow time to sign in and get your materials.
- Please silence your cell phone before class starts.